Friday, January 17, 2014

DIY Soap Mold with Corrugated Plastic

I have been busy making handmade soap and I thought I'd share a tutorial of my latest project.  In order to make soap, you have to have a soap mold.  A few dollar store drawer organizers got me started, but I'm a little particular about the appearance and the feel of the soaps shape when using it.  My first soap molds had slanted sides, like a trapazoid.  I prefer rectangular soap.  My options were to buy one or make one, and I do enjoy a little DIY.  After lots of research, I came across a soap mold made with a product called corrugated plastic.  It's what all of those political yard signs are made of, but you can buy it blank to make your own yard sign.  I don't want to make signs.  I want soap molds, and this is how I made them.   ***I have only used these molds to make hot process soap, which is much thicker when putting it into a mold than the cold process method.  I'm sure it can be done, but take care to secure the corners to prevent leakage.***

The local hardware store had a piece of corrugated plastic that was approximately 20 x 24.  It came packaged with a wire stake to use as a yard sign.  No, no signs today.  The only other materials I used were a sturdy ruler (clear acrylic works great) and an xacto knife.




I decided I wanted a mold that was 14" in length on the inside, 3 1/2" in width, and 3" high.  With this size of material I could make two molds, and have a long piece left for other uses.  First I added 3 inches on each side of the 14" of lenght I wanted.  That took me to 20" and so I cut it on the longer side.  This takes a bit of pressure with the xacto knife.  You may have to make one cut first, and then go over it again.  It's pretty sturdy stuff.




This piece was a tad shy of the 20" it said it was, but it worked out fine.  Adding 3 1/2" aross the bottom, plus 3" for each side is 9 1/2".  Since this piece is closer to 19 inches aross, cutting it in  half worked out perfectly.




Next I measured three inches from each edge, and scored JUST ONE SIDE.  It's easy to cut through just one side, but don't get too heavy handed or you'll have to start over with a new piece of material.  Here's where I had the long sides scored and then I creased them.




After scoring the short sides, you will have a scored square in each corner.  You can cut through one side of each square to make flaps.  Which side you cut determines where your flaps will fold over, either the ends or the sides.  You CAN cut the squares completely out, I did for my first mold.  But you might have a little leakage with your soap, so I'm trying the flaps.




Once it's cut, you fold up the sides.  You don't want to permanantly secure them though.  Once you make your soap,  you will pull the sides down to get it out of the mold. 




In order to use the mold you can secure the sides with a heavy duty tape.  If the weight of the soap causes the center to bow, you can use a piece of tape across the center or brace it on either side.


That's it!  Once your soap has set up, slowly unmold each side.  Once the soap is removed, you can scrape the remaining soap off, rinse, and reuse.  Enjoy your soaping!








21 comments:

  1. this is beautiful. i hope to make a smaller one. thank you for the directions and posting them. This is really going to help those of us that make smaller batches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't take credit for using this material, but am happy to share.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad to help others with a diy project.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is a video of making some soap in one of the corrugated plastic molds. I also sell soap making supplies through my store Micas and More: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO6M3tdN4hU

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poster printing is one of the best ways to market your small business.corrugated

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm making this!! Thanks Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will post all the ideas in a blog before the general election. Please mention if you have actually used the signs in the manner you are proposing or yours is http://www.jx-plastic.com/corrugated-roll/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for saving my sanity and pocketbook! Posted this on our FB soap forum...buying molds are just o expensive and they don't come in the sizes I actually need...hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very useful and help saving money. Now I can have more mold to making soap. Thank you very very much��

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial. I’ve been using cereal boxes turned wrong side out but I’m looking to upgrade my gear without spending a lot. ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PP hollow sheet is a new kind of eco-friendly packaging material, size, and shape, style, color can be flexibly customized, is your ideal packaging solution. Have good features light-weight, non-toxic, waterproof, flame retardant, impact resistance, corrosion resistance, anti-aging, fire prevention, eco-friendly, long service life, recyclable, toughness and easy to clean and sterilize. https://corrugatedplasticsheet.net/suppliers/anti-static-correx-board

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very useful and help saving money.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for saving my sanity and pocketbook!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really impressive post. I read it whole and going to share it with my social circules. I enjoyed your article and planning to rewrite it on my own blog. 45 steel spur gear

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mold removal must be performed by a licensed and IICRC - CLEAN TRUST certified firm. https://sarasotamoldpros.com/bradenton-fl/

    ReplyDelete
  17. That benefit is the added aide to protecting the environment. Since natural mold products are of lesser chemicals, they release lesser pollutants to the environment. Mold Removal Calgary flood damage

    ReplyDelete